Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fishy Names!

Hey, it's Stacey from Pd. 5! I wanted to wish you the best in everything and hopefully you are learning a lot and having fun! Well I've been looking over what you wrote about the types of fish you wrote in Spanish ("Fishing, Anyone?" posted by Elijah on October 9th). Well, one thing for sure...carabale is one fish I couldn't identify because people from different places say each thing differently. So my parents weren't sure if you spelled it correctly or meant something else. Moving on to the other fish you mentioned, loros mean parrots so it must mean they look like one and sapatillas means sneakers, so I’m not sure with that translation. Lastly, roncadores mean MONKEYS!!! But my parents told me that since you were talking about types of fish, then it might have to do with the Spanish people naming the way fish make noises just like the monkeys! Before I finish, the name of Puerto Baquerizo Morela has a meaning too. Well only Puerto does. My dad says its a seaport, but Baqueriza Morela doesn’t mean anything. It must be named after someone by last or first name.

I hope you enjoy the trip and hopefully this information is useful....cya soon!!!

Thanks for the Spanish lesson, Stacey. When I was posting the response to Elijah's question, I was in an Internet cafe. I asked the owner to spell the fish names for me. I don't know if they are spelled correctly or not. I need to learn Spanish!

When I was hiking on a beach yesterday, I found a dead fish. I took a picture of it because it had a mouth that looked like a parrot's beak. It must have been the loros! I posted a picture below. What do you think? Thanks for the information!