Saturday, October 6, 2007

Migrating People

I'm glad that you arrived safely and are enjoying your trip. Your family, friends and classes are also enjoying your trip while you're on it! What a wonderful way for all of us to learn.

I know that the Galapagos are known for its endangered and rare animals and, of course, its beauty. But I wonder also about the people. I am curious about the schools you have visited, how alike and different the children are, what they have, and what they don't have. If the population is exploding, then there has to be a cross section of people from around the world. How do the locals feel about the tourists and the migrating PEOPLE!?!

Also, one of your students mentioned the funding for the islands. I'm curious to know whether the tourist dollars alone can support the park?

Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip home. Be sure to bring photos or your computer to George's 50th party!

Your sister in Medford,
Patti

p.s. Love those "not so smart" birds!

Patti,
Thanks for participating! I visited two schools so far. Both were on the island of Santa Cruz. I plan to do a post on the visits today. The middle school children seem very much like the students in my school. I´ll give you more details when I do the entry. I am meeting a group of Galapaguano teachers from the San Cristobal island tomorrow morning, and I will be spending all day Monday and Tuesday with them. I get some additional information from them about the students, schools, and educational system. Thanks for the questions!