Thursday, September 13, 2007

Homework

I have received a couple more Fed Ex deliveries from the Galapagos program directors since the initial welcome package. This week I received my flight information. I just realized I haven't mentioned the dates on my trip. I leave on September 30th and return October 12th.

One of the packaged I received over the summer included two books for me to read. Yes, class, even some teachers get summer homework assignments! My Father's Island, by Johanna Angermeyer, is a true story about a girl (Johanna) whose father and his four brothers fled Nazi Germany for the Galapagos where they lived like Robinson Crusoes. Unfortunately, Johanna grew up in the states and dreamed of returning to the islands her father had loved. Reading about Johanna's family life on the Galapagos Islands got me even more excited about my trip. One day during our trip, we will even be eating dinner at Angermeyer Point on Santa Cruz Island! The other book, written by Michael H. Jackson, is a natural history book entitled Galapagos. I'm still working on that one. It details the natural history of the plants and animals found in the Galapagos.