Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I have a dream...

I am so excited for you about your trip to the Galapagos! I have been very interested in those islands myself, but far too lazy to research them! Still I have a dream to visit them some day! Some of the things I was wondering about the Islands are..

-compared to your typical Jersey shore how polluted are the beaches?
-other than the tortoises you mentioned, are there any more endangered species on the islands?
-what species are you most looking forward to seeing or learning about?
-you've mentioned unique animals on the islands, but are there any unique plants?

Those are just some things I've been wondering about! Have a great time!

-Sophie

Sophie,
Wow! Thanks for your thoughts and questions. First off, "too lazy to research them"??! Get ready to work! You tell me, what animals are endangered or threatened on the islands?

Did you ever hear of succession? (Look that one up also!). I am not sure of exactly what kind of plants I will see on the islands, however, what will be interesting is seeing succession at its finest. Plants will be growing on what seems to be bare rock. These 'pioneer species' lead the way for animals and other plants. These changes over time will lead to a community of organisms in a place that was once only volcanic rock and ash.

What do I want to see most or learn about? Everything... marine iguanas, Galapagos tortoises, Galapagos penguins, finches, boobies, frigate birds, sea lions, Sally light-foot crabs, sharks... all of it. I can't pick just one thing. Also, I look forward to visiting the schools, meeting the students and teachers, and keeping you updated on my blog!

I know the Galapagos had a major oil spill back in 2001. I hope to find out what impact the spill had on the islands and wildlife. I am glad to hear you are interested in the New Jersey marine environment. There are many organizations working hard to keep our beaches clean, including Clean Ocean Action.

Keep your dream alive! You will get to the Galapagos one day!