Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sea Turtles

I recently went to the Hawaiian Island Maui, and I swam with turtles. According to the locals in Maui, the turtles were raised in a preserve. I would like to know if the turtles in the Galapagos Islands are raised in preserves, or are they on their own when it comes to mating and nesting?
 
Rachel pd.2

Rachel,

I know green sea turtles nest on at least one of the Galapagos Islands, Bartolome. Read Amanda's blog entry entitled, "Charles Darwin Research Station" dated September 22. She inquired about the land tortoises, and I explained ways in which the scientists are trying to help them. I am not sure if they also work with the sea turtles at the research station. Great question! I will have to find out. This past summer I spent two weeks on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. I saw many sea turtles while scuba diving. They are beautiful animals! I also saw some endangered Hawaiian monk seals. There are only about 1,300 left in the wild. Did you have an underwater camera by any chance?