Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Natural Predators?

I was wondering if animals and plants in the Galapagos Islands had any natural predators. Then I found this information from one of the web pages I visited. "The native animals, lacking natural predators on the islands, are defenseless to introduced species and fall prey." Introduced species were the animals and plants brought to the Galapagos Islands by humans. Is this supposed to mean that the natural species are going to be run over by these newcomers? I surely hope that there is a way to stop at least some of it.

Aura
Pd. 1

Great thoughts, Aura! Introduced species are a serious problem everywhere, even here in New Jersey. It is very possible for introduced species to out-compete native species. I have read that feral animals are a serious problem for the tortoises, iguanas, and even the penguins. I hope there is a way to stop them, too! I am sure I will find out about programs focused on saving the native species. When I do, I will let you know!