Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Natural Surfers

From Artemis (pd. 2)...

I am interested in knowing if the islands have people on them or not? Also, I am a surfer. By chance do you know if the waves are nice there? I always ask people who have been places if there are waves. Are there dolphins there? I like the dolphins. Did you know they are natural surfers that ride the waves by jumping in front of them and riding it. It is a spectacular site! I have seen it before.


Artemis,
Great observation of the dolphins' behavior in the waves! You are very fortunate to have witnessed it. Yesterday Sonal posted a question wondering what marine mammals are found around the islands. I just found a website that states there are three species of dolphins living near the islands: bottle-nosed, spinner, and common dolphins. (http://www.tortoisetours.com/islands-wildlife2) I haven't seen dolphins riding the surf, however, I have seen hundreds of dolphins bow riding. Two years ago I did a three-week study on a NOAA ship in the Pacific Ocean. Guess what we were studying? Cetaceans! (Look it up, you'll be pleased!) Also, on the right hand side of this blog page under the subtitle, "More journals from the field", you will see a link to my entries from my study at sea. Check it out when you have time. And Artemis, I will remember to check out the surf, just for you!